Tuesday, May 12, 2009

“I’m The Princess Who The Hell Are You.”

Jon Gordon is a motivational speaker and author I heard years ago. He’s since written a series of books and I subscribe to his newsletter. Today his topic was “20 Ways to Get Mentally Tough.” I scanned the list. After all 20 is a lot. While most were good, I really liked the last one. It made me stop and think about the next time I’m in a tight situation, how to act.

“When you’re in a high-pressure situation and the game is on the line, everyone is watching you, remember to smile, have fun, and enjoy it. Life is short; you only live once. You have nothing to lose. Seize the moment.”

The thought of being in a do-or-die situation and smiling ‘cause life is too short, you really do have nothing to lose and you will remember seizing the moment for the rest of your life, pretty much made my day.

I often wrestle with my desire to take action. It comes natural to me. Trying not to do something is way harder. I’m pretty assertive and I’m always cautious not to go over the top. I really don’t want to offend anyone. I just want to get where I’m going…and generally fast. I’ve been accused of needing attention. Being selfish, spoiled and entitled. But I’ve also been called blessed, independent, confident and successful.

My former in-laws once bought me a license plate cover that read “I’m the princess who the hell are you.” Guess they thought -- entitled.

After reading Jon’s quote, all I have to do is remember to smile and have fun. Won’t that be a hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment