Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Corsets

I’ve been into corsets lately…ever since I wrote the beginning of my second book Third Times a Charm. It’s the sequel to A SEAL in Uniform and begins with Lieutenant Commander Mallory in preparation of his proposal to the love of his life, Sarah Richman, whom he met and fell in love with in the first book, buys her an incredible outfit that includes a Swan Lake-style princess dress, antique crème-colored satin corset and lace-up style high heeled ballet shoes.

The corset has been around in one form or another since the ancient Greeks. At one time, it was even believed that women, who were considered naturally inferior and weak, needed the corset as strengthening to stay erect. As time went on women made their waists so small that they in fact did need help staying up cause their O2 intake was so limited they were known to easily faint. As a result, the look of a small waist became so favored, wearing a tight corset probably played about the same role as full breasts and push-up bras do today.

I love wearing corsets, though I only do so in the house. They are invariably confining and severely restrict my movement. It does cinch my waist and push me up in ways that add a new layer of psychological pleasure to whatever it is I’m doing. I also like to watch myself move in it. I like the way the satiny colors dance in candlelight and blend with the color of my blonde hair and reflect off my fair skin.

So today, after I finish writing the SEAL rescue of the pirate hijacked cruise ship, I’m going to surf online for a corset to dress my character in as a welcome home to her returning hero SEAL Master Chief.


No comments:

Post a Comment