Monday, May 18, 2009

Full Immersion

I love the feeling of being completely immersed in a subject matter that it takes over my resting mind as well as my waking mind. I remember the first time I dreamed in Spanish. I was in Spain, Madrid, and when I awoke; I felt like I could go anywhere and do anything on my own in this completely foreign country, and do it relatively effortlessly in their native language.

For the last three nights, I’ve had very vivid dreams. Three nights ago, I dreamt about being with a SEAL platoon on a mission. I was both a participant and an observer. I was among this incredibly knowledgeable, self-sufficient group of guys. We were on patrol, doing reconnaissance. I felt completely in my element and knew exactly what I was supposed to do. I held a serious, kick-ass gun too. And although my cammies were rolled up on the arms and legs, ‘cause I’m obviously smaller than a really fit guy, no one seemed to notice.

Two nights ago, l dreamt I was hanging out with a bunch of SEALs, including my characters. It felt common and familiar as if it were a regular occurrence. It was me, but I was more like one of them.

And last night I spent the last three hours of sleep writing pitch letters about my book to editors and agents. I guess I got some positive responses because by the time my alarm went off, I was preparing for personal interviews and even picked out my clothes down to my tailored black skirt and ironing my sleeveless, white tuxedo shirt.

Let’s hope at least some of these dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment