Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Alpha Male & The Submissive

Never before in my life have I found myself so intensely affected by the mere presence of a particular man that it takes every ounce of self-control for me to remain standing when he is near.

I am paraphrasing here because I can’t find where I originally discovered this statement. It was a comment on a Web site about alpha males and submissives. The author was an educated and self-sufficient woman, completely surprised by her own reaction. I’m an educated, independent woman and I have had this exact experience. I know how this woman feels. It’s why I chose to write about Navy SEALs. I fell in love or lust or simply fell over. It’s the same feeling I still have as I write my characters. It’s the exact feeling I want my readers to have when they read the characters I have created.

Whoever wrote it, elaborates with the following. “The effect is extreme, both physically and psychologically. Primal. Overwhelming. It feels as though the man has almost supreme godlike power, but what it is simply is the power of a real man - masculine power…”

Can you imagine this power? I can. It’s the incredibly sexy power of these real life heros. The burning question is can I write it?

The author goes on to say “I feel totally held by this power. The desire to be taken by this man is so intense that it is frightening. It can be difficult to breathe, or difficult to remain standing, let alone maintain a conversation. Dry mouth, heart beating erratically all over the place, the fear that you might faint, shaking like a leaf, body positively screaming to be taken, a reckless willingness and primal desire to do whatever that man wants.”

Isn’t this the holding back then surrending that's at the heart of all sexual tension?

“The masculine power of this man is felt in every fiber of my being. I’m melting in a white-hot inferno of desire, out of my senses, and so far out of control psychologically that I can't even imagine ever being in control. All I want is to be consumed and totally in his power as if owned by him - totally his, totally submissive.”

And so I got to thinking, about what it would feel like to give oneself over to this feeling e.g. this man. How would I describe it? And does the character have to be submissive? Or is there a midrange to this affect, whereby she can give herself over to him, yet retain her power and control? As I make my way through thousands of words and hundreds of pages, this idea has become my journey and the story of SEAL Master.

Thank you to whomever it was that wrote such eloquent words. If anyone knows her, please pass on my gratitude.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting.

    As a (male) writer, I've worked hard at detailing, in a narrative way, the initiation of first love between a male and female. The "spark" if you will. But my perspective, of course, is through the eyes (and emotions and experiences) of the male. I know how it feels to fall in love with a woman; that sudden, white-hot power she holds over me in one fluttering, giddy moment. Like touching a hot coal, the impression remains in my mind and heart and soul for days and days.

    So there is a female equivalent to your masculine God. That woman who, by mere presence, makes ones head float and palms sweat.

    I have tried every way I can to capture it in writing, and it almost always falls to cliche.

    ReplyDelete