Saturday, August 29, 2009

Out of Africa

Out of Africa is one of my all-time favorite movies. My husband's too. Everytime it's on we instantly get hooked - like it or not. Recently I watched it (on video) intentionally. Then it was on TV randomly a time or two after that and we watched it again. Not only are the actors great, but the scenery, cinematography and even the sound track are so attractive. But it's the writing that grabs me. There are several lines that have stayed with me since first seeing the movie in 1985 all those many years ago.

I am posting three of my favorite lines and I believe, they are in chronological order.

Karen Blixon is back in Denmark fighting syphillis. She says, "I stayed in my room and tried to remember the colors of Africa."

Denis Finch-Hatton asks to move in. Blixon replies, "When the Gods want to punish you they answer your prayers."

Brau, Blixon's estranged husband, confronts Finch-Hatton about moving in with his wife. He says, "You could have asked." Finch-Hatton replies "I did...she said yes."

No wonder it won seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and legendary film critic Roger Ebert gave it the highest rating of five stars. It just doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment