Monday, March 9, 2009

Nostalgia is in the Air

It must be nostalgia time in the Reddy Silverman house.

A couple of days ago, I watched The Rookie, about an over-the-hill high school teacher and baseball coach who fulfills his lifelong dream of making it to the major leagues as a pitcher. Today, I’m watching A League of Their Own as they flashback over the lives of the women in the All-American Girls Baseball League from 1943 – 1954.

Over the past few days, thanks to Facebook, I’ve been back in touch with old friends. And coincidentally, it’s also time for my 30-year high school reunion and today is my birthday. So a lot is going on at the same time.

I usually love birthdays. I celebrate mine all month. I mean what’s the alternative? Death? So I am happy about another birthday coming – me being active, healthy and with a great family. But this one seems to be marking time. At almost half a century, I wonder how many days I truly do have left and more so what am I going to do with them to make them meaningful.

At this age or time of my life, having meaning and leaving a mark are important to me. I’m not old. At least I don’t feel old. I don’t feel any different that I did when I was 20, though my body if it could speak would probably say something entirely different. And recently, I set out for validation of my youth, which I think although necessary, was really stupid. And now that I’ve found old friends and renewed meaningful past acquaintances, I feel so much better about where I am in my life.

Just the simple fact that I right now I am sitting in backyard on a chaise lounge in the sun with an ice cold glass of iced tea and my Blackberry next to me, my Ipod in my ears and my laptop, well on my lap, is a sure sign that my life is good. So while I am literally where I want to be, I am not figuratively where I want to be…yet. And in between those ellipses, is a long journey. It takes time to dream, believe in it, take action and stick with it through to fruition.

So here I go. In this beautiful setting, to crank out another chapter of SEAL Master and take one step closer to realizing my dream of publishing this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment