Monday, June 15, 2009

“I’m the princess. Who the hell are you?”

I think I’ve written about this before, but since it came up again recently, I thought what the hell…variations on a theme.


My former in-laws gave me a license plate cover that said “I’m the princess. Who the hell are you?” I thought it was funny and still do. Though being among the only five Jews they’d ever met, let alone the only one they let into their family, I don’t think they’re qualified to judge exactly what makes a princess. So…


While I see myself as atypical when it comes to Jewish American Princesses, I definitely have some princess qualities that come out every now and again. I even think it’s more of an entitlement thing than a princess thing. I mean, I’m not high maintenance, well unless you count being well read, traveled, gourmet and enjoy good liquor. Otherwise I’m pretty common.


I wear very little makeup, if any, unless I absolutely have to. I live in my Birkenstocks, though they are the Mephisto kind. I like nice clothes, currently I have a thing for Burberry, but shop rarely. And yes, well, when it comes to diamonds, I admit to having a bit of a penchant.


But I drink beer – Mich Ultra actually – and eat chicken wings. I have been known to enter a Denny’s on occasion and know where my local Walmart is though never go. However, I also can tell the difference between Dom Perignon and Cristal Champagne in a blind tasting. Adore Beluga Caviar with blinis and crème fraiche. My vodka’s Stoli and my scotch is single malt – so far my favorite is Balvenie, aged in sherry casks.


I do have a cleaning lady, who also irons, but she only comes every other week. I wash my own car and cook at least three nights a week, even though I prefer to eat out and be served.


The reason I bring this up is because the princess appeared last week, not only in real life, but in my general correspondence and I was so called on it. So much so, I asked if the recipient could hear my foot stomp in defiance. But what’s significant is that yes, I was having a princess moment. It wasn’t pretty, but it was genuine…and after all these years of being a grown-up, I have to admit, I thought that tenacity was pretty impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment