Tuesday, June 2, 2009

"I like that about me."

There's a line in Something's Gotta Give, the brilliantly written movie by Nancy Meyers, that I totally identify with.

Keanu Reeves' character Julian Mercer says: The woman is really very brilliant, but she cannot hold her liquor.
Diane Keaton as Erica Barry replies: I like that about me.
Then both men (Mercer and Jack Nicholson as Harry Sanborn) reply: Me too.

I always walk a fine line between saying what I'm thinking and not saying it. Most of the time what I have to add is funny, and I say it. Occasionally it's inappropriate for the company. I know this, usually, and say it anyway. I like that about me. But unlike Barry's beaux, I'm not sure my beau does.
He said "What I love about you is what I also hate about you." Been thinking about it ever since.

1 comment:

  1. What I love about my wife is that she loves the things my ex hated about me...for example (and to the point of your post) I like to joke. Who doesn't, right? But to my ex, my humor embarrassed her when we were in the company of friends. Mind you, it was rarely crude, just very sarcastic. My ex was just not very comfortable in groups. I would get a kick under the table all the time, and it got to the point that it really started bothering me.

    Anyway...fast forward. Corrine, my ... new? current? second? ... wife has no issue with me being me.

    ReplyDelete