Monday, August 2, 2010

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER by Erma Bombeck

 IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER
> by Erma Bombeck
> (Written after she found out she was dying from cancer)
>
> I would have gone to bed
> when I was sick instead of
> pretending the earth would go
> into a holding pattern if
> I weren't there for the day.
>
> I would have burned the pink
> candle sculpted like
> a rose before it
> melted in storage.
>
> I would have talked less
> and listened more.
>
> I would have invited
> friends over to dinner even
> if the carpet was stained,
> or the sofa faded.
>
> I would have eaten the
> popcorn in the 'good'
> living room and worried much
> less about the dirt when
> someone wanted to light a
> fire in the fireplace.
>
> I would have taken the
> time to listen to my
> grandfather ramble
> about his youth.
>
> I would never have insisted
> the car windows be rolled
> up on a summer day because my
> hair had just been
> teased and sprayed.
>
> I would have sat on the lawn
> with my children and
> not worried about
> grass stains.
>
> I would never have bought
> anything just because
> it was practical, wouldn't show
> soil, or was
> guaranteed to last a lifetime.
>
> Instead of wishing away nine
> months of pregnancy,
> I'd have cherished every
> moment and realized that the
> wonderment growing inside me
> was the only chance in
> life to assist God
> in a miracle.
>
> When my kids kissed me
> impetuously, I would never
> have said, "Later. Now go get
> washed up for dinner."
>
> There would have been more "I love
> you"s. More "I'm sorry"s.
>
> But mostly, given another
> shot at life, I would
> seize every minute...look
> at it and really see
> it...live it...and
> never give it back.
>
> Stop sweating the small
> stuff. Don't worry about
> who doesn't like you, who
> has more, or who's doing
> what.
>
> Instead, let's cherish the
> relationships we have
> with those who
> DO love us.
>
> Let's think about what God
> HAS blessed us with.
>
> And what we are doing each
> day to promote ourselves
> mentally, physically,
> emotionally, as well as
> spiritually.
>
> Life is too short to let it pass you by.
>
> We only have one shot at this and then it's gone.
> I hope you all have a blessed day.
>
> * * .(\ *** /).*. *
> * (\ (_) /) *
> * . (_/ \_) . *
> * . /___\ . *
>
> In memory of Erma Bombeck and many who we all know and love
who have lost their fight with cancer. Here is an angel
sent to watch over you...
> Pass this on to the people you want watched over....
> I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment