Thursday, July 23, 2009

Randomness

I woke up thinking about how truly random life is. It’s a theme I discuss often, most recently with some of my SEAL consultants, though their concept of random has real live or die consequences. Mine is more of a fulfilled/unfulfilled, having fun or not kind of thing.

I believe I have randomly been assigned to the family I’m in. Though my psychic would say this was the family I chose. And I am at a place in my life that I want to amend. Though my therapist would say I am exactly where I want to be. Metaphysics—always the devil whispering in my ear! (Yes, I am aware of how kookie this all reads.)

But as I finish the last 10,000 words for SEAL Master, I’m thinking about happy endings and how people actually connect in real life. How much is intentional and how much is just random—right place/right time kind of stuff?

Given the randomness of life and the variables that go into making people, well…people, how do you go about finding your one true mate?

I believe the universe will provide. Set your sights on something, declare it to the world, work hard and focus. Ultimately you will get what you want. And if it is not exactly right, it will be a very close facsimile thereof. When I left Seattle for South Florida, making a major change in my life, I asked for three things. A job, of course, a guy into sports (my ex was an artist) and a lap top. Within a few months, I had a job at an online sports network surrounded by guys into sports and a lap top.

Is this a power I possess or really just how the world works?

So how do you explain those who know what they want but remain mateless? And better yet, how do you explain those who remain happy 20 years later, having met by sheer happenstance? “Oh we were on the same elevator, lived in the same apartment building, met on a plane,” etc.

And while I’m very into planning and thinking things through, I am not big on knowing all the answers in life. Sometimes I prefer to be surprised. It’s how I fall in love. How I have kids. Even how I chose to write after all these years.

I guess every now and again something extraordinary is supposed to happen. Think I’ll meditate on what I want today and watch how it manifests itself down the road. Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment