Monday, April 13, 2009

Ya Just Gotta Love the Navy SEALs

As many of you already know, I do. And I think it’s about time they got their due. Though I’d bet my last dollar that all this attention is making their collective skin crawl.

I have spent quite a lot of time reading about and interviewing SEALs then fictionalizing and romanticizing those accounts of how and what they do. Their job, their vocation, I wholeheartedly support, admire and even fetish to some degree. And, I for one, do not think they have enough latitude to do what it is that they are trained and experienced to do.

I have written A SEAL in Uniform, now available online, and am in the process of writing SEAL Master for publication as well the sequel to A SEAL in Uniform called Third Times a Charm. Ironically, in this sequel, there is a dramatic SEAL rescue scene of a passenger cruise line taken over by Somali pirates. The SEAL, newly promoted Commander Joseph William Mallory, is on his honeymoon, touring Kenya, Tanzania and Madagascar, when the Silver Sea cruise ship he and his bride are on, crossing the Mozambique Channel, just south of the Gulf of Adan, is hjacked by pirates. Mallory has the insider scoop on what’s going on aboard and, while risking his own life, feeds the SEAL team invaluable information to foil the crime.

Now while my fingers are not as fast as my imagination and I have yet to get that scene to print, I’m thrilled to know I’m on the right track. And while I know what happens in my book, I’m even more pleased to know that the results in real life have turned out extremely well for Captain Phillips and which ever SEAL Team answered that call for help.

I’d also like to say, appropriate at this time, that the extremely well-trained SEALs know exactly what needs to be done and ought to be allowed to take control of scourge in the Indian Ocean, swiftly and lethally putting an end to ocean piracy.

I trust the SEALs. They train hard and work even harder. Sure there are renegades in every field, but they are the exception to the rule. Let the SEALs spread fear otherwise known as justice among the outlaws in Mogadishu and throughout Somalia. Give them free reign to squelch pirating and bring lawfulness back to the seven seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment